Friday, May 8, 2009

The Sounds @ Double Door 5/7/9

I saw two dramatically different Swedish bands on back-to-back nights. First it was Opeth, next it was The Sounds. Better known as the soundtrack to this Geico commercial, the Sounds can't seem to decide if it's riot grrrl punk or bubble gum pop. I might believe that to be an accurate metaphor for Swedish music in general, were it not for the superb assault of the Opeth show just one night prior. I'm not very familiar with The Sounds' music, but it was a sold out show of people who looked vaguely like me, so perhaps I'm the one out of line on this review, but I found the set to be staid, dull, and interminable. Not quite what one looks for in a pop-punk show. We left before the end of the set, but the throngs of mesmerized fans quickly filled in our vacant spot.

Value:Cost = $10/15 = 0.67 = D+



Local band Hey Champ opened, and varied from tolerable new nu-wave to really very good electronica-dance. They play Lollapalooza this summer, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers