Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mates of State @ Metro 4/11/9

I used to love Mates of State, and still really have strong like for them. But, their live shows are so hit-and-miss.  Don't get me wrong, there's not much better in life than a great live rendition of Fraud in the 80s, but this band is a lot like another keyboard-playing female-vocal band, Headlights in that they rarely sound good live. Of the half-dozen or so times I've seen MoS, I think they were best at Lollapalooza in 2008.  I know, shocking, right?! There was something about the sun, the receptive crowd, and the aw-shucks but having fun nature that is MoS that was really working that day.  This show at the Metro, they just seemed tired.  I think their kid was at the show, so maybe it was the culmination of a long tour with offspring-in-tow, but the new addition of strings, guitar, and backup vocalists really added to the impression of the dynamic married duo not being able to carry the show this night, which was a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers