Monday, June 15, 2009

Pit Er Pat @ Millennium Park 6/15/9


It doesn't take much self-convincing on a slow work day when it's absolutely perfect weather outside to go to a free indie rock show at the even more beautiful Millennium Park. Even if it is Pit Er Pat playing. Actually, before today I've never heard Pit Er Pat. I've certainly heard of them. Or read of them, at least. Apparently they recently moved away from Chicago, but in the years' prior, I would see them listed in the various venues all the damn time. Like once a week. They're proficient showcasers, to their credit. Yet, the only reason I ever took note of their name was because of a Mr. Show sketch featuring Pit Pat, a "magical, pansexual, non-threatening, spokes-thing". I think the coincidence is strictly that. As a band, Pit Er Pat is best described as a cross between Crystal Castles and High Places in a not-original-yet-oddly-compelling mode. It's a duo of lightly talented musicians with a penchant of layered dub beats and pseudo-hipster-hop overtones. Not as dancy as Crystal Castles, not as shoegazer as High Places. I wouldn't seek the band out again, but if it's another picture perfect day in Millennium Park, I wouldn't hesitate to be entertained by them again.

Value/Cost = FREE! = A


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers