Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hold Steady @ Taste of Randolph 6/21/9




I've already covered my feelings about Hold Steady in my review of Art Brut. I feel the same about both bands - great live, boring on record. What was most surprising about this show wasn't the ability of the Taste of Randolph to once again attract a surprisingly stellar lineup of bands, nor the relatively small turnout for what was, essentially, a $10-or-less-pay-what-you-want outdoor show on a perfect summer night. What was most surprising was how thoroughly enjoyable it was to see how excited the band was to be playing for a crowd that was 50% into seeing them and 50% into preening for the meathead techno jock crowd that was overflowing at Market, just next door to the stage. I'll save a review of Market for BRUNCHblog, but it wasn't exactly the finest pairing of worlds, and makes me question why the stage was erected where it was. Nevertheless, it was yet again a fun Hold Steady show, and the weather, price, and acoustics were just about perfect, to boot.

Value/Cost = $10(donation)/$10 = A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers