Friday, October 7, 2011

Peelander-Z: Greatest Live Band?

Now, the title "greatest" is obviously a subjective measure. And a great live band can take on many forms. The "greatest" live performance could be your favorite band playing your favorite song in your favorite club. The "greatest" live band could be a band you don't really think much of until you see them live, then they just knock it out of the park. Bands like Art Brut or Girl in a Coma. But, I'm here to argue that the title really belongs to Peelander-Z (@peelanderz).

I bought tickets awhile back to go see Those Darlins (@those_darlins) at Empty Bottle this past Wednesday (review to come in a later post), but I had no idea what I was in store for with opening act Peelander-Z. Never heard of them. Self-described as "the Japanese Action Comic Punk Band based in NYC," think of a combination of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Gwar. The band is so over-the-top goofy, and in the warmest "we're-here-to party-and-make-you-laugh-and-dance-your-ass-off" way possible, that I, and the rest of the crowd, were swooning. Your typical Wednesday night hipster Empty Bottle crowd was instantly won over - transformed from stand back, not approach the stage, to full-on dance party. 


It was so good, I went again the next night at Schubas. I wasn't the only one. See this band.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers