Friday, December 4, 2009

Glass Ghost @ Turner Hall, 11/10/09

My experience seeing Glass Ghost open for the White Rabbits is best summed up by an unintentional running diary of text messages exchanged between myself and Horsie Sauce during the set. These are all my sent texts unless otherwise indicated.

(9:05 p.m.) Another opener just came on. Not a happy development. One song in and I want to kill myself.

(9:11 p.m.) Apparently this is Glass Ghost.

(9:13 p.m.) Wow this lead man makes Brian Wilson look lively.

(9:14 p.m.) Also, the auto text wanted to type “Asian Wilson” there.

(9:15 p.m.) [Horsie Sauce:] “That would make a good band name”

(9:17 p.m.) That’s true. Better than Glass Ghost at least.

(9:25 p.m.) Just took a picture [of the band] with my phone. It’s pretty bad. Much like Glass Ghost.

(9:35 p.m.) Two more people – maybe some White Rabbits? – just came out to play more drums. Now I know a band can have three separate drummers and still suck.

(9:37 p.m.) One more! Four drummers now! Still sucks.

(9:44 p.m.) You know your band sucks when the first house song – Here We Go Magic’s Fangela – gets more applause than your band did at the end of its set.

(Post-show notes: I’ve read some positive things about Glass Ghost since the show, and those reviews reinforced some of my non-texted thoughts from both during the show and the next day. Although the band took themselves too seriously, lacked any attempt at banter, seemed unready for the space and size of the crowd, and suffered a Headlights-esq inability to enunciate its lyrics, I wondered whether their music was best experienced with headphones on. I look forward to trying that, so I encourage someone to obtain the album and let me borrow it. But I don't think I'll be seeing them live anytime soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers