Monday, July 20, 2009

Flaming Lips @ Pitchfork 9/19/9

The last time I saw a live Flaming Lips show was back in high school. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was this show: 

2/18/1994
Wow. That was a long time ago. Catherine and Brown Betty were a couple of local buzz bands that never really went anywhere that I know of. I'd look up some more info on them, but I don't really care. I believe I have exactly one song by each band on a Q101 promotional CD called "Random Acts" that had some tie-in with a woman's shelter, or something. It's all academic at this point, anyway, especially the only really cool band to come out of that early 1990's Chicago scene was The Lupins

Anyway, the Flaming Lips weren't the friggin' "FLAMING LIPS" back then. They were just another quirky experimental rock band, not unlike Ween. I've kept up with FL over the years, but never was much of a fan. I've admired their creativity and individuality, but never bought into the magic like, say, Jim DeRogatis (who got a shout-out at the show), who hangs off their nuts like a concierge at Kobe's hotel. Still, I was looking forward to this show. I was absolutely certain that this would be the biggest spectacle of all the Pitchfork shows over the years, and I wasn't disappointed. From the usual rolling in the ball over the crowd (pictured) to the emergence of the band from the pulsating vagina (not pictured) to the frogs and angels dancing on stage to the limitless streamers and confetti - this was one hell of a rock show. They played every hit (and mixed in a few tunes from the upcoming album), and did so with aplomb. I intended to leave after a few songs, but wound up staying for the entire set - enthralled. That was unexpected. And therefore, with everything stated above, turned out to be the top set of the long Sunday. 

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers