Monday, July 20, 2009

Blitzen Trapper @ Pitchfork 7/19/9

This set reminded me quite a bit of Fleet Foxes' set last year in that the sound wasn't quite loud enough, the band was technically proficient but lacked stage presence, and I struggled to stay awake. Not to say Blitzen Trapper is quite like FF. BT comes off a lot more folk-country live than on record, which really isn't my bag. Also, although the lack of proper amplification may have something to do with it, the intricate songwriting that makes them noteworthy just doesn't translate 1:1 when experienced live (at least outdoors). This band was made for a more intimate club, probably something low key and with chairs. Thankfully, this set was pretty early in the day, otherwise I might have laid down and let the songs put me to bed. 

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers