Tuesday, July 20, 2010

15 Second Pitchfork Review

I may post more later about Pitchfork, but I'll give my $0.02 in short order right now:

Best overall: LCD Soundsystem - this was my first time seeing LCD live (yeah, I know), and they totally lived up to the hype. The set was too short, but that was a function of the festival more than the band. The set list was more or less the same as what they've been playing on this (supposedly their last) tour, and it was blend of new record and past hits. Nothing too adventurous, but certainly pleasing.

Most surprising in a good way: Titus Andronicus - I saw TA play a small opening set at Metro about a year ago and was severely disappointed in how suck they were. Totally non-congruent and yelling. This P4K show, however, was excellent. Maybe this is a festival-only act? They've earned my attendance at their next local show to find out.

Most surprising in a bad way: Sleigh Bells - With their excellent debut receiving heavy rotation on blogs, indie stations, and my iPod, this was one of the top attractions. What a let down. Sound problems marred much of this set (not their fault), but the duo was relying so heavily on a backing track that when guitar and mics cut out, there was basically zero audible difference (is their fault). They had lots of energy, so this might be a better live act in a year or so with more polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers