Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Japandroids @ Schubas 10/9/9


  As I've remarked before, autumn is an excellent time for live music in Chicago.  The few pleasant summer nights that we get are long gone, so you don't feel guilty choosing to spend all your time in a dark bar. Plus, summer festivals have wound down, so great bands are touring small venues once again. For instance, Japandroids .  I missed them at Pitchfork this summer (choosing instead to listen to the Walkmen perform the #5 2008-record of the year  You & Me ). So, because I really adore their debut Post-Nothing and have heard really great things about their live shows, I was eagerly anticipating this show.  I wasn't disappointed.  Despite some minor technical glitches, an over-packed house, and relatively banal crowd interaction (I need me some good band banter!), this duo put on a heck of a show.  That such an arena-worthy wall of sound can be produced by a two-piece, and be performed by a pair of dudes clearly having the times of their lives, goes to show that sometimes the hype is justified, and that innovative indie rock is occasionally still being put out. A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers